Here’s 5 really good reasons why you should play sports
- You’ll do better in school. Exercise improves memory and concentration
- You’ll learn team-work and goal-setting skills (and maybe kick or shoot some goals!)
- You’ll be healthier and fitter with heaps more energy
- You’ll be more confident. When you practise and improve, you see how you can achieve not just sporting goals but other goals
“Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice.”
Bethany Hamilton, surfer (check out more about this girl hero here)
5. You’ll be calmer! When you exercise the brain releases feel-good chemicals that will improve your mood.
Pretty good, no? But do you know that between the years of 9 to 13, boys sporting activity goes up but girls’ sporting activity almost halves? Why are we letting boys have all the fun?
Studies show that many girls drop out of sports because they lose confidence and become self-conscious about their bodies. That’s so sad and it stops us having fun and being healthy.
So get moving or keep moving – grab a friend, grab a whole team of friends, and do a dance class, (or just dance around the living room for 30 minutes), a martial arts class, take up roller derby, go for a run, a swim, a surf, a bike ride, hit, kick or catch a ball – just move!
What’s your favourite sport? Tell us in the comments below!